We have the ability to help you with any kind of install, including remote software installations, equipment installations and network upgrades. Our installations and upgrade options include: operating system upgrades, application installations, adding or replacing equipment and peripherals, firmware upgrades or engineering changes per manufacturer specifications.
Installations and upgrades can be scheduled or may be critical enough to require immediate response to resolve a product defect or application anomaly in the branch, which can range from OS to firmware relative to the equipment and organizational needs.
Remote Software Installations
We can help you manage all aspects of a remote software installation for your business. We review and test the software on both the hardware and OS. We provide notification of the event and schedule the install. A step-by-step install with end user viewing can be provided if required. After completion of the install, we validate and test the installed software with the end user. The whole project is managed with our project management software, ProTrac, and reports of the status of the project can always be viewed. Our remote software installation team can be utilized to assist with software upgrades, as well as making sure all your Remote Deposit Capture (RDC) customers are using the correct software after a merger or acquisition.
Our most recent post-installation survey revealed that we had 100% customer satisfaction with our remote software installations. 100% of survey respondents also thought our team was professional and courteous throughout the installation. 96% of the installations were completed on the first call, and the other 4% were completed on the second call. Calls not completed on the first call were due to customers not having the correct equipment or software on their current machine.
With national access to technicians that are all vetted by Benchmark before being selected for a project, we assure the quality of our staff. When installations are coupled with our procurement, configuration and logistics services, Benchmark provides end-to-end project capabilities wrapped by our project management experts and unique project management dashboard, ProTrac to provide real-time installation progress and status information.
Installation capabilities include: servers, desktops, tablets, peripherals, storage systems, network equipment, cash recyclers and dispensers, customized equipment and kiosks.
We can provide an analysis of the technology in place or required to assure the customer room for growth, as well as management and flexibility. We implement project planning along with all configuration, installation and testing. We have the resources available for the gamut of network services from a simple rack installation to VoIP implementations across a network.
We perform installations and upgrades based off your schedule and can work during the day, after hours or on weekends. We have successfully managed thousands of site improvements and hundreds of thousands of device changes and improvements from banking conversions to network conversions with little to no impact to you or your customer. If you need have questions about a future installation, please contact us for more information.
If you are interested in receiving assistance with an onsite installation project, please request a quote by filling out our brief estimate questionnaire.